In 2016 I failed at most of the goals that I had set for myself, so I will only go with two goals for 2017!
In 2016 I read 117 books, thus smashing my original Goodreads reading goal of 66 books!
Of those 117:
- 59 were books, 38 graphic works, 18 pieces of short fiction, and 2 audiobooks
- 64 were books by women, 37 by men, and 16 by male/female teams
- I rated 13 books five stars.
I only managed to read three books out of the 8 SFF books and classics that I had set for myself in the 2016 Reading Goals & Challenges post. Those were:
- The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner (5 stars)
- The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker (4 stars)
- A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (4.5 stars)
I also only finished one more book, Lord Edgware Dies, in my quest to read Agatha Christie’s Poirot books in order – but I’ll blame the library, who had lost their only English language copy of Murder on the Orient Express, which would’ve been next on the list. I also failed in the TBR Triple Dog Dare, since all of my library reservations came in at the same time, and I focused on those instead of reading mostly my own books like the Dare specified.
My first goal is to read 55 books for the Goodreads reading challenge in 2017. Since I’m on the job hunt and also want to draw more, I’m not aiming for more than that.
I want to read two of my own books per month – preferably from my physical TBR shelf, but Kindle books will also do in a pinch (All the Unread Books I Own). This way I’ll read my own books, but can still use the library.
To achieve this, I’m taking part in the Mount TBR Reading Challenge run by My Reader’s Block. I chose the Mount Blanc challenge level, which is to read 24 books from my TBR pile. If I do well, I might consider upping it to Mt. Vancouver, reading 36 books. I will keep a list of the books I finish right here. Physical books will be marked in bold, the rest are ebooks. I want to read at least one physical book every month.
- The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (50% in 2017)
- The Lost Child of Lychford by Paul Cornell
- Forest of Memory by Mary Robinette Kowal
- Borderline by Mishell Baker
- Queers Destroy Fantasy! Anthology (50% in 2017)
- The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
- Broom with A View by Gayla Twist & Ted Naifeh
- The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 4: Rising Action by Kieron Gillen & Jamie McKelvie
- Clay’s Ark by Octavia Butler
- Of Sorrow and Such by Angela Slatter
- The Man with Two Left Feet by P.G. Wodehouse
- The Martian by Andy Weir
- The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson
- Fool’s Fate by Robin Hobb
- The Grey King by Susan Cooper
- Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn
I hope your 2017 is off to a good start, and happy reading!